I was doing some work on the OSX X86 box at school today. Since I did the initial DD image install of OSX, about three newer versions have been leaked, all on bootable DVDs. I figured it was time for an upgrade, so that’s what I worked on today. Unfortunately, I didn’t have enough time to finish, and had to shut off the box mid-install. I figured three hours should have been enough time, but the SSE3 to SSE2 emulation must have slowed down the process.
I’m a little disappointed I didn’t get to finish it because I’ve been attempting it for over a week now. For the past week I’ve been burning new DVDs with different hacked kernels. Each new DVD seemed to have a different kernel panic, and just today I finally found a working kernel combination for the specific configuration. Oh well, I’ll give it another go tomorrow, and if I’m lucky OSX will be smart enough to pick up where it left off, saving me valuable time.