Current Version: Tumblefeed 1.1
Tumblefeed is no longer supported. If anyone wants to take over this plugin, just contact me and I will be happy to hand over the key.
Tumblefeed modifies your WordPress feed to act more like a tumblelog. By reducing the number of feed items to one a day, Tumblefeed prevents your visitors from suffer feed overload when your WordPress-based tumblelog is updated multiple times a day.
Drop tumblefeed.php into /wp-content/plugins/ and activate the plugin.
- Changes your feed to only output one item a day (posted at midnight your local time), containing all your posts from that day.
- The day’s item will link to a permalink of all your posts on that day.
- Full posts will abide by your <!–more–> usage, allowing you to limit the amount of text that appears in your feed.
- Does not modify comment-based feeds, so readers are free to receive comment updates.
Important Note: Due to the nature of this plugin, heavy modifications are made to WordPress’ feeds. Plugins altering the contents of feeds will most likely not work and have unexpected results. Also, since this plugin essentially adds more content to the same feed, processing power required to display a tumblefeed increases. If your server is low on resources, it’s highly recommended to use Feedburner or wp-cache to alleviate the additional resource usage.
Since tumblelogs are often styled differently based on the type of post, tumblefeed offers the same functionality. Modifications must be made in the plugin file itself, but aren’t too difficult if you have modified your theme before. Line 105 and 142 are essentially WordPress loops and all tags used in the loop are valid.
Here is an example modification made by Ben Gray of openswitch:
if ( in_category('6') ) $content .= '<p>' . the_title('<strong>', '</strong><br />', false) . get_the_excerpt() . '</p>'; elseif ( in_category('1') ) $content .= '<p>' . '<em>Thought:</em> ' . get_the_excerpt() . '</p>'; elseif ( in_category('8') ) $content .= '<p>' . '<strong>Podcast:</strong> ' . get_the_excerpt() . '</p>'; else $content .= '<p>' . get_the_excerpt() . '</p>';
Current Version: 1.1
WordPress 2.3 Compatible
1.1 – Bug Fix
- Updated to work with WordPress 2.3.
- Fixes feed updating issues when using services such as Feedburner.
1.0 – Initial Release